The Purpose of this Paper Being able to think clearly , organize your ideas, and communicate your findings are important professional skills . Most every industry, including health care, education, and the military value employees who are able to apply basic research skills — espec ially in vague, uncertain, or undefined projects. This paper will challenge you to address a situation that requires you present a prof essional report to solve a problem.
1. I dentifying the type of study you will carry out (qualitative, quantitative, deductive, inductive , explanatory, exp loratory etc . ) as well as the clearly justifying why.
2. Reading and understanding background information on problem drinking and finding out how other researchers have defined and operationalized the variables in their study.
3. Conceptualizing and operationalizing variables, and defining indicators.
4. Assigning levels of measurement (nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio).
5. C hoosing measurement activities and d ata collection strategie s. The Issue of “Problem Drinking” You are working a t C o mpany X , a Forbes 500 corporation w ith over 32,000 employees in offices around the world . Y o u work in personnel management where supervisors have tasked yo ur team with researching worker productivity. For the past year, a s eries of discrete, open – ended preliminary exit – interviews about the overall company culture with departing employees, your team notes that interviewees bring up the “hard partying” ethos of Company X repeatedly . Inte rview t ranscripts from 5 employees bring up themes and observation ranging from “just a bit wild” and “we work hard, play hard” to “excessive” and “abusive.” You already see the challenge — what separates problem drinking from recreational, social, or casual drinking? What factor s play into problematic drinking? Y o ur immediate supervisor has some social research background but makes it clear you are to lead your te am in designing a study to assess “ problem drinking” among X Corporation employees and its relationship with worker productivity . You’ll need a clear idea of what you mean by this term by reviewing the research literature and formulating a plan to organize the study .
Consider this issue and develop a 3 – 4 page proposal on How you would design the overall t ype of study, define concepts, operationalize variables, ind icators, and sample employees , How would you ensure validity and reliability, and address ethical data gat hering.