. The term “raga” is used for the highly developed melody in what world culture?
2. Which culture is known for its long history and development of opera?
3. What is an idiophone?
4. What is a membranophone?
5. What is the function of the Indian string instrument tambura?
6. What is an aerophone?
7. Which world culture includes numerous gongs of different sizes in its large ensemble known as the gamelan?
8. Which world culture used a length of bamboo, called the “Yellow Bell,” to calculate the pitches used in its scales?
9. Of the five cultures studied, which two have examples of “tonal” language where the rise and fall of pitch in the spoken language affect the meaning of the word?
10. Which world culture features the singing style known as “call and response”?
11. What is the most common and important string instrument in traditional Japanese music?
12. The end-blown flute called the shakuhachi is an important instrument in what culture?
13. Why do the tabla drums have a black spot in the middle of the drum head?
14. Which world culture uses a drone chord as an essential part of its traditional music?
15. Which world culture has the most “westernized” music in its modern, everyday life?
16. The “thumb piano” instrument is unique to what world culture”?
17. What nonwestern performing group did the French composer Debussy hear at the Paris World Exhibition in 1889?
18. What are the two most important islands in the Indonesian complex?
19. Which of the three major theatrical arts of Japan uses half-human-size puppets?
20. The term “tala” is used for the rhythmic pattern in what world culture?
21. What world culture merged with American music to form jazz?
22. What world culture uses “microtones”?
23. What is a chordophone?
24. Which world culture uses the Western violin as part of its traditional music?
25. What are the three major theatrical arts of Japan?
26. What large string instrument has a set of a dozen “sympathetic” strings that are not touched by the player, but that vibrate when the upper melody strings are played?